This Day in SEO
- 2012 June, 4th
Google Bigfoot Update - Alright. This this wasn't an update Google actually confirmed, but if you've been in SEO for very long, you'll know that can be par for the course. Moz and SERPmetrics saw significant fluctuations on this day. The update appeared to impact subdomains negatively and entities positively.
This Day in SEO
SEO moves so incredibly fast; it’s easy to forget just how young it is. I’m not even thirty 1 and I’m older than the oldest website. Think about that for a second.
I set out to research the history, evolution and critical milestones of SEO in part just to see what I’ve missed. Although it’s been my job to know SEO from front-to-back over the past seven years, it’s impossible to catch it all. Suffice it to say, from over 150 hours of research and more than 500 events cataloged across 366 days 2, I’ve learned A LOT. Hopefully you can take something away from this research as well. Every day a new event will be posted with a link to more information about it.
The types of historical SEO events include:
- Search engine launches and key events
- Important SEO acquisitions
- SEO patents
- Famous Google Bombs
- Major events in internet history
- Standard-setting legal cases in SEO
- Search engine algorithm updates
- High-profile search engine penalties
There are too many websites I used for this research to mention them all, but here are the ones I certainly couldn’t have pulled this off without:
- Google Algorithm Change History – Moz
- Google Algorithm Updates – Springboard SEO
- Google Ranking Factors – Northcutt
- Google Update History Timeline – Ignite Visibility
- History of Digital Marketing Technology – Kapost
- Search Engine Land
- Search Engine Roundtable
- Search Engine Showdown
- Search Engine Watch
- The History of Not Provided and its Effects to SEO – Digital Marketing Philippines
- The History of SEO – HubSpot
- WebmasterWorld Forums
Questions? Comments? Contact me on the website or through Twitter.